The Butler County Sheriff’s Office is currently accepting applications for Communications Technician – GIS Specialist. This position reports to the Technical Services Division.
Communications Technician – GIS Specialist maintains Geographic Information System (GIS) data for public safety applications including, but not limited to, computer-aided dispatch, 9-1-1 locations, and asset location. Applicants must have experience in the maintenance and utilization of a GIS database and a working knowledge of computer systems outside of GIS. A Communications Technician, GIS Specialist will be provided training on systems and equipment related to the Sheriff’s BRICS system outside of their primary focus and will be frequently required to support those systems on a secondary basis. The ability to work with a team and solve problems collaboratively is of the utmost importance. Duties include:
- Maintain GIS data used by public safety applications
- Provide helpdesk support and resolve problems to the end user’s satisfaction
- Monitor and respond quickly and effectively to requests received via a ticket system
- Receive, check in, inventory and return equipment to customers at a service counter
- Work collaboratively with other technicians to solve problems
- Monitor various alarm systems for reports of problems with system infrastructure
- Coordinate timely repair of system infrastructure covered by vendor maintenance agreements
Applicants should have the ability to:
- Create and maintain a GIS database
- Work in a team environment
- Deliver good technical support over the phone and in person
- Identify and troubleshoot issues with logical problem solving
- Read, understand and apply complex technical information
- Write clear and concise reports, emails and support ticket responses
- Adapt to changing technologies and job requirements
Applicants should have knowledge of:
- Desktop operating systems, email, web browsers, office applications
Experience in a public safety field is preferred but not required.
- High School diploma or equivalent
- Valid Ohio Driver’s License to operate agency vehicles
- Must be able to sit for prolonged periods of time while using a computer. Must be able to perform physical activities, such as, but not limited to, lifting heavy equipment (up to 50 lbs unassisted), bending, standing, climbing or walking. Some outdoor work may be required.
- Available to work during business hours, Monday through Friday, with the potential to be called in for emergencies outside of normal hours.
Salary: $18 – $24 / hour, based on experience. Butler County is an EEO/AA employer.
Position Type: Full Time (40 hours / week)
Attention: Lieutenant Nick Fisher
705 Hanover Street, Hamilton, OH 45011