In 1803, James Blackburn was elected as the first Butler County Sheriff. The U.S. Army gave a Powder Magazine building to the Sheriff and it became the first Butler County Jail, capable of housing four prisoners.
In 1806 a second jail was built on the south side of Public Square in Hamilton. The jail measured 33 feet by 30 feet and was two stories high. This facility was capable of housing twelve prisoners. This jail served the county for the next 40 years.
In 1846 plans for the third Butler County Jail were completed. The jail was built for the sum of $8,581.00. The “Modern” facility was capable of holding 80 prisoners. It remained in service for the next 122 years.
In 1969 the Commissioners awarded a contract for the construction of a 138 bed jail facility at a cost of 1 million dollars. Shortly after the new building was dedicated in 1972, it was already too small and deemed obsolete.
In 1989, the Sheriff’s Office teamed with Fort Hamilton Hughes Hospital, Area Court Judges and the County Commissioners to establish a Minimum Security Jail for offenders of non-violent crimes. This facility, “Resolutions”, was the first full-service, state approved, Minimum Security Jail in Ohio.
1996 marked the beginning of the construction of “Resolutions II”, an expansion of the Resolutions Jail, forming the Butler County Correctional Complex for non-violent misdemeanor crimes. When fully operational in 1997, this Complex was able to house over 200 inmates.
In 2000, the Sheriff’s Office and County Commissioners began the construction of a new, Direct Supervision, Maximum Security Jail at a cost of approximately 40 million dollars. This new jail, “The Butler County Corrections Center” is be able to house around 750+ prisoners. The Butler County Operational Headquarters and Corrections Center completely opened in August of the year 2002 and now houses all Departmental Headquarters and the Butler County Jail.